Van Morrison may be one of the most reliable artists in the history of rock and roll. He’s been releasing solo albums for fifty years, and in all that time have his fans ever been surprised by what they’ve heard? Not really. When you pick up a new Van Morrison record, you can be pretty sure you know exactly what you’re getting.
That’s not a bad thing, either. Van Morrison may not be an artist you’d consider adventurous, but what he does do, consistently, he consistently does very well!
So as we look forward to the September 22 release of his next album, Roll With The Punches, we can rest assured that Van will deliver something at once new and familiar. That’s especially true with this set, which features a mix of blues and soul covers alongside a handful of new Van Morrison compositions. Inevitably, it will all make sense. Trust in Van.
Here’s the track list for Roll With The Punches:
01. Roll With the Punches
03. I Can Tell (Bo Diddley)
04. Stormy Monday/Lonely Avenue (T-Bone Walker/Doc Pomus)
05. Goin’ To Chicago (Count Basie)
07. Too Much Trouble
08. Bring It on Home to Me (Sam Cooke)
09. Ordinary People
10. How Far From God (Sister Rosetta Tharpe)
11. Teardrops From My Eyes (Rudy Toombs)
12. Automobile Blues (Lightnin’ Hopkins)
13. Benediction (Mose Allison)
14. Mean Old World (Little Walter)
15. Ride On Josephine (Bo Diddley)